Endoscopy Learning Library
Ingestion of button batteries: report of two clinical cases with esophageal complication and proposal for a multidisciplinary protocol of treatment
Arrigo Barabino (1), Silvia Vignola (1), Paolo Gandullia (1), Serena Arrigo (1), Angela Calvi (1), Luigi Dall’Oglio (2), Filippo Torroni (2), Paola De’ Angelis (2), Marta Bini (3), Alfredo Rossi (3)
1UO Gastroenterologia ed Endoscopia digestiva, Istituto G. Gaslini (IGG), Genova2UO Chirurgia digestiva ed Endoscopia, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, Roma3 UO Endoscopia digestiva, Ospedale Niguarda, Milano
Two children with a lithium battery lodged into esophagus are described. One died because of aorto-esophageal fistula, the other surviving despite esophageal perforation. These experiences induced specialists of two tertiary Italian pediat- ric hospitals and two adult’s gastroenter- ologists to upgrade a panel of experts in the field. A new protocol for the manage- ment of disk battery ingestion in children was developed, representing the opinion of some members of the Italian Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatol- ogy and Nutrition (SIGENP).